Project SUNWISE: Skin Cancer Prevention Counseling by Pharmacists
|Program Title||Project SUNWISE: Skin Cancer Prevention Counseling by Pharmacists|
|Purpose||Designed to increase the effectiveness of pharmacists in delivering skin cancer prevention counseling. (1998)|
|Program Focus||Awareness building|
|Age||Adults (40-65 years), Young Adults (19-39 years)|
|Race/Ethnicity||This information has not been reported.|
|Setting||Clinical, Community, Suburban, Urban/Inner City|
|Funded by||NIAMS (Grant number(s): AR43025 )|
|User Reviews||(Be the first to write a review for this program)|
About the Study
A randomized controlled trial was conducted with 54 pharmacies (178 pharmacists) in San Diego, California, selected for serving non-Hispanic Whites, the highest risk population. Eight individuals were trained to serve as evaluation confederates who observed the pharmacists' counseling behaviors before and after the intervention. Pharmacists also received a pretest and post-test survey regarding their skin cancer prevention counseling practices.
Pharmacy Level Observations
- At pretest, pharmacists were observed counseling patients about sun protection. 2 of the control sites (7.4%) and 0 intervention sites had provided counseling. At post-test, pharmacists at 18 intervention sites (66.7%) were observed counseling patients compared to 1 control site (3.7%).
Pharmacists' Survey Results
- Intervention pharmacists' knowledge scores increased significantly while control groups pharmacists' knowledge did not change.
- After the intervention, all pharmacists who answered the survey (n=67) reported discussing photosensitivity due to medication.
- After the intervention, 92.5 percent of pharmacists surveyed (n=67) reported at least sometimes asking patients about sun avoidance.
- Nearly all (95.5 percent) of 67 pharmacists surveyed after the intervention reported at least sometimes providing patients with materials on reducing their risk for skin cancer.
Mayer, J.A., Eckhardt, L., Stepanski, B.M., Sallis, J.F., Elder, J.P., Slymen, D.J., Creech, L., Graf, G., Palmer, R.C., Rosenberg, C., & Souvignier, S.T. (1998). Promoting skin cancer prevention counseling by pharmacists. American Journal of Public Health, 88, 1096-1099.
Mayer, J.A., Slymen, D.J., Eckhardt, L., Rosenberg, C., Stepanski, B.M., Creech, L., Palmer, R.C., Elder, J.P., Graf, G., & Anderson, S.T. (1998). Skin cancer prevention counseling by pharmacists: Specific outcomes of an intervention trial. Cancer Detection and Prevention, 22, 367-375.
User Reviews (0 Reviews)
(Be the first to write a review for this program) Back to Top