The goal of RE-AIM is to encourage program planners, evaluators, readers of journal articles, funders, and policy-makers to pay more attention to essential program elements including external validity that can improve the sustainable adoption and implementation of effective, generalizable, evidence-based interventions.
The five steps to translate research into action are:
- Reach the target population
- Effectiveness or efficacy
- Adoption by target settings or institutions
- Implementation (consistency of delivery of intervention)
- Maintenance* of intervention effects in individuals and settings over time.
*Please note that "Maintenance" is not calculated as part of the RE-AIM scoring process for RTIPs.